Skip to main content

Reply to "What's the benefits/risks with keeping a player back a school year?"

A practical benefit of re-classing really presented itself to my son and me on a recent weekend.  He attended his first "big" showcase (he is a 2020).  In his group was a kid who I figured was roughly similar.  They were the biggest ones in the group, my kid a bit bigger.  I noticed from the roster that they were born in the same month. My son was a good bit faster and hit well, but the other kid squared up more balls and had a more polished swing.  My son looked better in the field.  They both made the all prospect list.  

A week or so later I checked the PBR Rankings for our state.  My son is 50+.... not bad, but not earth shattering. I looked for the other kid but didn't find him.  Then it hit me...I checked the 2021 list and the kid is right toward the very top in the state.  As a 16 year old freshman I guess he re-classed somewhere along the way.

To be honest had I previously known how prevalent and accepted the practice is I would have suggested to my wife that we strongly consider it.