Skip to main content

Reply to "What's the benefits/risks with keeping a player back a school year?"

2022NYC posted:

Thanks for all the comments. My son is a young 2022 and will start college at 17. So far he can keep up with his academics and sports, but I am intrigued by the PG option.

For what it's worth, my son was a young hs graduate, graduated at 17.  We knew about the holding back scenario but never really considered it, nor do we regret our decision.  We can play the what if game all we want but at the end of the day we are grateful (like many others here) of what he achieved.  Many tend to focus on the positives but I believe there are just as many negatives.  For example, your held back kid gets a scholly to a P5 school because he is bigger, faster, better coordinated compared to others.  Gets marginal playing time among the "big boys".   On the flip side your age/grade appropriate son gets a scholly to a mid-D1 where he grows some and absolutely dominates on the field.  If your son has the mojo of what it takes to get to the next level it will happen.  Fate has a funny way of balancing out the playing field.  Trust in the process, trust in Him.