Skip to main content

Reply to "What's the benefits/risks with keeping a player back a school year?"

BishopLeftiesDad posted:
gunner34 posted:

in Texas you have to do it 7th grade year,  UIL calendar starts in 8th grade,  you have 5 yrs to compete.   you might be able to do it and switch to a private school possibly.     I had a few friends who stayed back when I was growing up and it worked out for one of them,  Heisman trophy winner,  14 yr career in the NFL.  

Gunner,

I have an honest question and I am not trying to be snide. Do you think that having the extra year helped the player become a Heisman trophy winner? Would he have missed that opportunity if he was not held back. I understand we will never truly know, just looking for your educated guess. 

I'm sure he would have been fine,   he was a great player but small,  he started off at same high school as me also and the coaches were big how much do you lift,  how fast do you run types and that was not him still.    He went to play for his father at a smaller school and turned into quite the prolific passer who set many high school records and his younger brother broke those.   He was never a physical specimen.