Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Your Transfer Story?"

OK, I'll bite. The kid transferred between semesters this year.

The kid went as a two way but made it clear to the seven schools that offered him he was a PP first and pitcher second. He found a coach and a school he really liked and they made a really good offer, and I guess in hindsight that should have tipped me off, but more on that later. His freshman year they had a lot of injuries to the pitching staff so they cornered him and are like "PO", to which he reluctantly agreed. Now during the recruiting process the RC/PC has been the nicest man you could ever meet. Not so much once practice started. The kid alluded to it at the time but talking to him recently he said there were a couple of times one more word out of the guy's mouth and I'd have beaten his ass right there in front of everyone. That from a kid who's never been in a fight in his life, that I know of. Also, a few of the parents told us similar stories. And, I'll add, the HC told him I recruited you because you had an almost MLB level CB plus he was most comfortable out of the wind-up. So come spring the PC said you can't throw the CB and pitch out of the stretch only. Then his first college game as a freshman, under those restrictions, they put him on the mound against Oregon St. and the first batter he faced was Nick Madrigal. It was downhill from there. At the end of the year meeting with HC the kid voiced his opinions regarding the PC and that was that, he separated them and no more pitching. His sophomore year in fall ball he tears it up. Against live pitching, in scrimmage and two exhibition games, he hits .427 with power. A week before the season starts he hurts his quad. It's almost a month before he comes back and by that time a local JV recruit has cemented himself in RF and the kid has to DH. He started out well, three HR's in his first couple of games, a bunch of balls caught at the warning track, but anytime he struggled a bit he was sat and someone else was given a chance, all the while there were starters who went through 0 for 30+ stretches and were allowed to work through them. At the end of the year the coach retires. A new coach comes in and again the son has a really good fall. Hit a couple of balls not only over the fence but almost out of the park but sees only limited play. At the close of fall practice, the coach tells him "you haven't played much the last couple of years and we are going in a different direction". Remember what I said about the offer they made him. They took him as a PO even though he made it clear he was a PP first. They thought once there what choice would he have. As to the new coaching staff, other players beneath him on the depth chart weren't run off. The coach wanted his scholarship but it was Big10 so guaranteed. So he got the "you haven't played much, you don't fit our program, we're doing you a favor".  They did ask him to PO and the kid said no. Why anyone would want him to is another thread.

So, that was really long-winded, but for a reason. None of that really matters, at least not to me. My kid loved the school, town, and his teammates and even though things hadn't worked out he was more than willing to stay and compete and was really disappointed. The problem is the NCAA and its mid-year transfer rule. Things didn't work out, and yes, some of that is on my kid, but a lot isn't. He only did everything asked of him up to a point. And for that the NCAA says you sit, no exceptions. I'd be all for the NCAA being disbanded. Short of that they can SMD.