Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Your Transfer Story?"

Again, I get the mentality for some of you that keep harping on choose the academics then the baseball but that is not the case for all of us and I will keep posting it because I don't want a newbie to think that is the only way.  My son's dream was to play in the SEC and his ultimate dream is to play MLB and coach.  So the academics is not a huge qualifier.  It is to compete at the highest level and then coach.  If baseball ended tomorrow due to accident, he would probably stay if they would let him be a part of the process with the pitchers to learn more.  We did our due diligence so I do not think it will end because he can't compete.  I also do not think most understand what that means.  I have people ask how do you know if you can compete before you go?  The answer is if you are facing on a regular basis lineups at PG that are made up of guys that are going to the same places you are going.  Over the past three summers, son has pitched in the summer and fall against, almost every game, lineups of kids committed to SEC teams.  in back to back games two summers ago, he faced the Canes National and Team Elite Prime then East Cobb Astros and Scorpions.  Then in the fall he faced Team Canada.  He knew before he signed NLI that he could compete because he had faced half of the guys committed to SEC schools in the past two summers.  So many talk about top travel teams then when you ask they give you some name that you've never heard of.  If you are a pitcher or hitter and not facing the teams on top 50 by PG you are not facing top teams.  You must find ways to compete against players going to the same level schools you think you want to go to so you can find out if you will be able to compete.  I think you also see who is committed to the school you are going to and if you ever played with them or against them.  Son had played with or against over half of the players coming in with him to his P5.  This solves some of the transfer stuff with not competing. 

There is no way to find out if a coach is lying to you in recruiting other than looking at his track record.  If you want to be a two-way, has he had two-way guys in the past and has the pc.