Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Your Transfer Story?"

fenwaysouth posted:

Pitchingfan,

I totally get what you are saying.  I really don't see a difference between a kid using college baseball as a way to advance himself professionally as an engineer or as a MLB player or coach.   It is the same.  As I see it, the trick is to know what you want to do with your skillset when that life decision presents itself.

I will disagree with you on your examples.   You said your son knew that he could compete in the SEC because he played against the top travel teams.   My son also competed against these top travel teams for two years.  His team won the PG WWBA 16U tourney a few years ago.  My son played travel baseball with future SEC and ACC players and there was no mistaking they had the physical tools to play at that level.   We had studs up and down the lineup.   While I will agree with you that it is absolutely necessary to play against top competition it is by no means a guarantee of future success because these are the most competitive and coveted roster positions in college baseball.   

I agree with both of you. Playing for high level teams against the best definitely puts you in a better position to be successful but does not equate to success. We made the switch from a quality local program with a handful of commits to a top team with close to 30 guys. Did all the big tournaments and have probably run into PitchingFan's team at one point or another. The difference was night and day. Not just in the quality of the baseball, but every game was a competition with your own teammates. You were forced to produce or you were gone because there were 29 other capable kids. When you play against the teams mentioned you get used to seeing 90+, you get used to seeing draft prospects, you get used to pitching against a lineup full of studs. At the more local level (yes I understand there are exceptions and you don't have to play for the Canes) you might face a few quality players and then coast your way thru the rest of the game. At the higher levels of travel you need to be sharp every AB. 

So when 2019's school made cuts some good players went. Most of the guys were not the kids playing against the top competition in HS. Then you get a lineup full of older D1 athletes and you aren't as prepared as you could be. You aren't used to seeing 92 every day, you aren't used to throwing 90 and having balls hit 420 ft. This is why all my advice is play for the best travel team possible. Yes it helps with recruiting, but more importantly it makes you better and you aren't shell shocked when you get to campus in the fall.