Skip to main content

Reply to "What school to choose"

Boomerusa,

My free advice to you is to take a step back and relax.  Your intention to send your kid to a private school in the Tampa area should not be contingent upon what their baseball programs are like?  If he were a 15 or 16 year old and was a stud, and was already on college recruiters' radars??  Sure, I get it.  But he's 12 and has only played baseball from an overseas standpoint.  Plus you have other children to factor in.  

Academic fit, for all your kids, should be the priority.  And then if your kids are athletic, then ATHLETICS can be a close second.  Notice I said, "athletics," and not baseball.  Kids jump to college ball out of HS and even pro ball from all sorts of HS settings.  I would not encourage anyone to choose a school for their 12-year old based on the school's baseball program.  Do people do this though?  Sure.  Would I?  No, never.  

I do not know any of the schools you mentioned, and I'm not even familiar with the coaches you named.  My concern would simply be not who the coaches are, but can my son, and his siblings have successful athletic experiences at those schools?  Ie., will they play?  Will they contribute?  Will they have fun?  Or will they be on the bench?  What other sports besides baseball do they offer?

Good luck with your decision.  I'd pay private school money for the education, I would never pay private school money for baseball.  But that's just me, and I sent my son to private school for 11-years, knowing full well I was not doing his baseball career and development any favors by making academics the #1 consideration.  

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach