Skip to main content

Reply to "What schools to avoid and target"

Dad,

This is the list of schools attending the camp I assume?

Might I suggest...Take the list and cross out the ones that are absolute easy no's.  If your kid is an average student at an exceptional school, it's still going to be difficult to get into an Ivy. It will actually work against him in that his class rank is likely very low.  So, unless he's the superstar that the coach uses his pull to get in (and he still has to be in the "mix"), there are a few on the list that can be crossed off.

I might suggest a quick Niche search on each of these schools.  It will tell you admit rates, available majors and average cost (if that's an issue, it is for us so I track it).  I know he doesn't know what he wants to major in but maybe you can rule out a few?  My advice is to keep any school that wouldn't pass the broken leg test off your lists, that way you don't have a kid fall in love with just for the baseball. (My 2022 is a STEM kid all the way, recently a HA Liberal Arts school showed him some love.  He was convincing himself that he wanted to change the direction of his entire life by switching areas of study just because this coach "loved" the way his threw.  4 for 40 people!! Obviously unless your kid is getting drafted) It's their life, but these are also teenagers.

As for baseball fit...I say start with the ones that are likely a good fit, but contact all of them.  Why not? Once you see who is interested, then that would be a good time to research a little further into the program as far as if they are notorious over recruiters, etc.

Just my two cents