Skip to main content

Reply to "What schools to avoid and target"

I agree with PitchingFan, but I would add that it was really hard for me to pin any of that down during my son's recruiting, let alone him to do it. It's important to sort of differentiate between college for baseball and college.

We did a lot of visits at a lot of different size schools, including a couple that didn't offer baseball, just to get a sense of the size of the school and the feeling. My daughter, for instance, visited a couple of schools that were in the middle of cities before she decided she didn't like that feeling and wanted something with more open spaces. My son visited two schools with great baseball programs, but no football, and realized it was really important to him to have the big school football weekends.

I would suggest visiting a variety of schools — if you have some near you that's a great place to start. We usually contacted coaches and tried to tie our visits to a camp or a showcase, or in some cases, got to go to a practice or a game and have a short chat with a coach. We ALWAYS did the standard academic/admissions tour and that was a huge help for son as he started to get an idea of what college was going to mean for him.

That's a great list of schools to showcase in front of, but the above is helpful as you start to think about schools to attend.