Skip to main content

Reply to "What schools to avoid and target"

@Dadof3, awesome to hear that you're just getting started in the process.

The short answer is that it is REALLY tough to tell you which schools to target or avoid without knowing more about your son.

Ultimately, none of these schools are inherently "good" or "bad".

They are only ever "good" or "bad" fits for your specific son based on who he is as a player and a student!

This is an annoying cliche to hear (I know), but ultimately the truth.

In case this helps at all, here's how I view those schools you listed:

High Level D1 - Penn State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Seton Hall, Cal - these are all really strong baseball programs - the limiting factor here will be how strong a player your son is

High Academic - Bucknell, Richmond, Georgetown, Elon - these are all higher academic schools - not sure what your son's academic profile is (he is still just a Sophomore), but the limiting factor here will likely be his grades/test scores

Mid Major - Dayton, VCU, Towson, UMBC - mid-level D1 programs - again, limiting factor will likely be your son's playing ability

Very Random Assortment Of Schools - Coppin State, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Illinois, Wright State, Norfolk State, CCSU, Frostburg State, Ball State, Indiana State, Youngstown State, St. Josephs - The inclusion of these schools tells me that this is just list of all the schools that are going to be at this particular showcase

Until your son has two full years of an academic transcript under his belt, it will be tough to tell where he projects as a student, but hopefully you can begin to get a clearer sense of where he might fit into the mix as a player.