Skip to main content

Reply to "What schools to avoid and target"

@BOF posted:

Bwahahahaha,

One of many emails you and your son will get to separate you from your $.

Get an independent opinion (one with no financial interest in your or your son) on where he fits baseball wise and then make your target list.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. There are a TON of emails and letters going out right now that make you and your kid feel special. Trips to the Dominican with Ivy coaches, coach saw or heard about my son and wants to see him in person, etc.. Heck the Virginia coach emailed my son last night inviting him to camp and you would have thought he has legitimate interest. I can guarantee he has no idea who my son is and the email was likely written by a marketing person and sent using a service like Constant Contact.

Now the coach pulling your son aside could be a differentiator. Has your son asked any other kids if they are going to the showcase/camp? Is the coach helping out in any way at the camp?

I'm not saying don't do it, but I would have limited expectations going into it. Is it cheap? If so it could be a great way for your son to experience the feel of one of these events so he is familiar and comfortable with it next time.