Skip to main content

Reply to "What separates players who are drafted?"

Fascinating thread to me.

My observations, so far, include the talent, tools, work ethic too. But I have also noticed that there is some intangibles there, hard to quantify and put into words, but they are there.

I have also learned that talent, tools, work ethic, and even the intangibles are not enough.

The sun, moon, and the stars also have to be in alignment and you have to have some luck.

Part of Coach May's quote jumped out at me.

"The ones that make it know they belong."

I remember when my son was young that it was hard to accept that he was headed on a path to play baseball. It was hard to let yourself think that it might be a possibility. That he might have the talent to make it. It still is.

But there was confirmation from others along the way that said its OK. That's part of what this site is about.

I wondered if he would make it from high school to college. Then I saw an acceleration in him duing college that I did not expect or know was possible.

Near the end of fall instructional league, after they had worked the through out the time on the mental aspects of the game building confidence, etc. one of the coaches pulled my son aside, and said, "You are going to spring training. You might have the opportunity to catch some of the pitchers on the MLB roster in spring training."

"It's OK for you to be there.........."