Skip to main content

Reply to "What separates players who are drafted?"

quote:
Opposite story a catcher was drafted from Clemson as a pitcher in the 4th round, only 28 innings pitched in college.

He did touch 100mph though and you can't TEACH that!

I think the unproven pitcher w/100 mph velo is a great example of drafting on projection rather than experience.
I never felt that all the other intangibles (hustle, desire, commitment, character, yada, yada) were major factors in DRAFTING players however those are the characteristics that commonly determine a successful progression up the ranks of MILB and on into MLB. It's tough to know how a player that has had everything in the past will respond to having to ride a bus all night long and spend a week in a motel with a player that has very little in common with you (other than baseball) ----- while making less money than minimum wage. Some adjust quite well while others struggle with the lifestyle. To some it can be a dream come true while others might see it as a nightmare. I don't know anyone that can predict exactly how they will respond until you put them in that position. I'm sure there have been scout/scouting director conversations that end in: "Let's draft him and see".
Fungo