Skip to main content

Reply to "What separates players who are drafted?"

Infielddad,
Agree that a top draft pick and a low draft pick have different standards regarding injuries.
I meant no offense to your original post regarding injuries and opportunity once drafted. My original post was about getting drafted at all.
To be a top 5 round pick a kid has to be an awesome player. To get drafted anywhere there has to be certain things that catches a scouts eye. I was trying to clarify for myself what those things are.
The many great posts in this thread have helped me tremendously.

The reason I started this topic is because I have a 15 yo sophomore who is a good hitter with a lot of power. He is an outfielder with a good arm, good glove but is not the fastest kid in the world. His goal, like a lot of kids, is to be drafted from high school. I do not want to discouage his dream/goal but it is hard for me to see this as a realistic possibility.
He currently plays for a very good travel team that goes to all the age appropriate PG tournaments on the east coast.
He works out at a bb academy every winter and has burnt out yet. I was just wandering how far fetched his dream is.
Thanks