Skip to main content

Reply to "What should we do?"

I guess it partly depends on:

--How much you believe the travel coach's opinion that pitching gives your son his best opportunity to play at the level he wants.  There are a whole lot of college pitchers who were the best hitters on their high school teams but who didn't project as college hitters.  If the travel team is one of the bigger names in travel ball, the travel coach probably has a fairly solid basis for his opinion (BTW, I think I know who your travel coach is, and I have a very high opinion of him).  Ask him why he doesn't see your son as a position player in college.

--How content he would be to accept either the D2 offer he has in hand or whatever comes in from the visits he has been invited to take.  If you choose option 2, you make it very unlikely any additional options will materialize this fall or next spring.  

--What matters most to your son about his college choice.  You went to a very good academic school.  Is he on track to do the same?  What does he want out of college and how important is baseball among his priorities? Is the D2 a good overall match, or is it just a baseball opportunity?  

The advice I would offer is:

--Take those offered campus visits as soon as possible to find out if any of them become opportunities.  My son received several offers that way, but one school that had been very eager to have him visit turned out to have only mild interest that was dependent on other contingencies. Find out what opportunities he really has before making plans for the fall.

--Have a heart-to-heart with the travel coach about your son's interest in playing outfield and the basis for the travel coach's opinion that he projects better as a pitcher.  Also ask how much outfield time he could expect to see this fall if he decides he wants to present himself as a position player.

--Have a heart-to-heart with your son about what really matters to him and how important his goals for his high school team are compared to his long-term plans.  Your son needs to know that option 2 carries a very high opportunity cost that he may make payments on all through college.  

I'm willing to continue this conversation in a private  dialog if you'd prefer.

Best wishes,