Skip to main content

Reply to "What should we do"

This, too, sounds very familiar.  We went through same thing with my 2016 last year (similar MS grades, all the honors classes, loaded up, etc) during his first few months of HS.  He realized "this ain't middle school any more" and came through with flying colors.  But, there were bumps in the road and still are.  Tough love.  I remember when he didn't do well on a test.  I asked if he took notes in class.  He said, "Yes, of course."  I replied by saying that he'd better (a) take more notes; (b) take better notes; (c) read them more often; (d) read them with more focus or (e) SOMETHING ELSE.  I said make a change, don't complain...you have to do something different.  I don't think taking a lighter load is the answer if you have what you know is naturally smart kid.  FIrst off, if he is going to try to get into a "highly selective" school, one of the things they look for first and foremost is that a student is not afraid of a challenge in the classroom.  Also, planning, being organized and on time and attention to detail are the keys (IMO) to being successful in the professional world.  Regardless of the level of talent/brains, some of these basic skills/habits can go a looooooong way (because so many people are lacking in them).  So, the sooner one learns how to manage a tough schedule, the better.  Same with dealing with adversity.  Good luck!  He will be just fine.