Skip to main content

Reply to "What to ask?"

The suggestions so far are great.  Thank you for sharing them.

This team is recruiting my son because he was referred to them by another player.  After that, they saw him play.  Once they saw him play, they started talking to him about coming over to their organization for next summer.

For my son, he’s looking for exposure.  He’s not going to get that with his HS team.  We’re not a strong team and don’t play in a strong conference.  His last summer team was promising him exposure.  But, it never happened.  And, that coach has a lot of contacts.  My feeling there is that he has so many players that he was only going to knock himself out going to bat for a kid unless the kid was like #1 or #2 at his position in the state.  And, to be honest, in those cases, the kid probably doesn’t even need his help to get recruited.  Everyone else was on their own.  And, if the did manage to commit on their own, then he would just take the credit for it.

I think that’s something that they all do?  I just did a random sample of three top local summer teams.  I went to Perfect Game to see how many of their players committed and where they went.  I found a lot of overlap.  Sometimes all 3 were claiming the same kid.  Often it was more than one of them had the kid listed.  I think what happens is that everyone gets the strong player to play for them at one time of another even if it’s just one or two times.  But, because they were once on their roster, then they get the credit for them when the kid commits somewhere.