Skip to main content

Reply to "What to ask?"

Scotty Doesn't Know posted:

For my son, he’s looking for exposure.  He’s not going to get that with his HS team.  We’re not a strong team and don’t play in a strong conference.  His last summer team was promising him exposure.  But, it never happened.  And, that coach has a lot of contacts.  My feeling there is that he has so many players that he was only going to knock himself out going to bat for a kid unless the kid was like #1 or #2 at his position in the state.  And, to be honest, in those cases, the kid probably doesn’t even need his help to get recruited.  Everyone else was on their own.  And, if the did manage to commit on their own, then he would just take the credit for it.

If I'm correct your son is a sophomore. I don't know what you're expecting out of all this but very few freshman are committing and the ones who are committing are total studs. Lets say 100 current sophomores are committed. That is nothing in the grand scheme of things. So unless your kid is 100% a superstar stud who throws 85+ or hits bombs of 85+ regularly there is nothing his summer coach could have done. Exposure doesn't equal offers. Exposure means being in the same place the scouts are at. You can go down to the WWBA in Georgia and have zero connections/stud players and the trip is a waste of "exposure". So odds are that a group of freshman ball players does not need exposure yet, they need to just play to get better.

Don't walk away from a good situation just because your son didn't get any college looks at 15. If the coach has a lot of contacts and you're looking for a team that can put him in contact with schools I'm not exactly sure why you'd leave. I would assume the coach did not reach out to schools on your sons behalf because your son is not ready to be seen by said schools or he does not believe your son can play at said schools. Either way he has plenty of time. The majority of recruitment happens the summer after junior year of high school.  

Last edited by PABaseball