Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do?"

SeedThrower ...

We heard similar complaints from a couple of our son's teammates (actually, from their parents) when he was in college, and I found it interesting that the pitching coach that they felt was not honest seemed more than honest to our son and most of his peers. In one particular case, it was definitely just a matter of personalities clashing and there just was no way around it (the pitching coach was hired after the pitcher had been recruited and they had not had a chance to work together ... )

But that being said, I would ask if your son has talked with the pitching coach about this, and if so and it was not productive, did he ask to meet with the head coach (with or without the pitching coach in attendance)?

You ask :
quote:
If a coaching staff brings you in with all kinds of scholarship money and then don't use you or will tell you why they aren't using you, why do you owe them any kind of an explanation?

If it were my son, no matter the circumstance, I do believe that the player WHOSE EDUCATION WAS BEING PAID FOR BY THE BASEBALL PROGRAM does indeed owe an explanation to the coaches who arranged for the scholarship. From my perspective, if nothing else, it is a matter of courtesy to do so. Also, as I am sure you are learning, college coaches at all levels know each other and 'network' quite a bit. If a player leaves on really negative terms, which I believe your son would be doing if he didn't have a 'sit down' with the coaches, it 'gets around' to other coaches (and to pro scouts as well) and can leave a dark cloud over your son's reputation and possibly impact his future. It may not be right/fair/etc., but it is nevertheless part of life.

I would recommend that your son sit down with the pitching coach (if he has not) and the head coach (if he has not) and put his cards on the table. Then, if there is still a feeling that he is 'not wanted' or whatever is causing them to keep him from the mound, and he still wants to leave, he can go with a clear conscience.

I wish him well. This is never an easy situation and as a parent, I know your heart is aching for him as well.
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom