Skip to main content

Reply to "what to do if coach had bad affect on son."

Hey Bas3balldad,
I know where you are coming from. We dealt with many of the same issues last year. There was lots of "daddy-ball" going on, with special treatment given to one of the coaches son. He was a terrible player and had no talent for the game. He couldn't keep a ball in his mitt, couldn't run fast, and was always an out at bat. I believe his mid-season batting average was 0.086. But, he was on the team b/c his dad "volunteered" to coach. This boy was allowed to throw his helmet and bat inside the dugout after striking out--without any consequences. Several of the other players, my son included, were treated very poorly. They were yelled at for not "trying" hard enough... The list goes on and on. It was a very difficult season for all of us. However, my husband and I decided to use it as a learning experience. Instead of quitting the team, we coached our son to keep his head up and concentrate on the game. To focus on his skills and not let the coach get into his head. We walked away from this season as "winners". We taught our son that life is not fair. That his life will be full of coaches and bosses that play the favorites game and give special treatment to undeserving people. But, it is how you treat yourself, believe in yourself, that matters. It was a hard lesson to teach a 13 year old, but now, he is better for it and knows how to showcase his skills and be self-confident. Needless to say, we did not return to that team, but were fortunate to find a team with a set of coaches that teach and not yell. Best of luck to you and your son. You are lucky to have him and he is lucky to have a dad so concerned about his well-being.