Skip to main content

Reply to "What To Do if HS Coach Doesn't Believe in Helping Recruit Players?"

Our HS changed coaches a year ago, so we've seen the high and the low on this.

The prior coach didn't help much at all. In all candor, he was not widely regarded as a "baseball man" and thus, his opinion was not all that respected by recruiters. But mostly, he was reactive in the sense of handling incoming calls, but not proactive in the sense of helping kids identify schools where they might find a home and then calling up those schools' coaches.

The other thing he didn't understand is that so much of the recruiting work happens before the senior season. Some of our guys just plain missed the boat by being too late to the party. This is getting to be a bigger and bigger issue, as more and more college programs finish their recruiting by fall of the senior year and may have no scholarship money left to spend by spring time.

We got the "heads up" on this early on, that we should plan on making our own way in the world without his help. We were also fortunate in that while I was running a travel team at the time, I was focused on sound instruction and not knowledgeable at all about the national recruiting opportunities available. My son was fortunate to be seen and recruited to another team that was already traveling nationally, esp. to PG's WWBA events.

Our new HS coach came to this with really no experience but he keeps an open mind and he does put in the effort. He is learning what helps and what doesn't. He is already helping some of our underclassmen in the pipeline and I suspect that as he continues to learn the ropes he will make a big difference for kids.

In their defense, these coaches don't get paid to work 24/7. Some of them do, just because they want to do things right. But they all have families to raise and support, too.

On the other hand, a lot of HS coaches would profit from discarding their disdain for elite travel baseball and helping their freshmen and sophomores find slots on the best travel teams for summer and fall. I can't tell you how many HS coaches I see who think HS ball is the pinnacle, that there is no off season opportunity greater than American Legion, and that travel teams are nothing but a waste of money. Unfortunately some are just trapped in thinking that is 12-15 years behind the times, and they simply are not aware of the opportunities that are out there today.