Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do if you're not signing tomorrow"

Never give up! We know so many "blue chip" guys who verbally committed in the first two years of high school who are now juniors and either buried on the bench or transferred away.  

My son didn't ever sign with anyone....he was a unheralded recruited walk on at a D1 with a very solid program.  He didn't see much of the field his freshman year, while many of his "signed" past team mates played their way off the field at their colleges.  By end of his sophomore year he was playing a significant role in a super regional series and baseball gods allowing, will be a starter at a top 10 D1 this year as a junior.  

So, signed or unsigned the story isn't written yet.  Sometimes it's the kid who know's how to keep working and not get discouraged that makes a role for himself even his college coach didn't imagine.  No matter what happens this year or next, (although I wish I'd had some financial help along the way for SURE), I know my son has skills that will pay off through out his life both on and off the field that I doubt he would have developed had he had an easier route to where he is today. 

Keep working, a chip on a shoulder isn't a bad thing for a late bloomer or overlooked kid.  It's completely true, there is more then one way to skin a cat....or get on a college baseball field. 

Last edited by calisportsfan