Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do in front of a scout"

In our High School Leagues in California, many of the umpires are also part-time scouts.  We had a strong player both physically & with skill set,  who was two years ahead of my son.  He was struggling with the 6th tool, Mental Discipline & Tenacity which in my mind means consistency, and as a High School player I think all are young at controlling emotions too.  (They have not played Poker enough in the dorms or on bus rides yet)  Anyhow, this particular guy would drop F-bombs @ SS with missed plays, of course the field umpire behind second heard them all.  If he struck out, occasionally our Head Coach would walk him all the way down the right field foul line while he was throwing a tantrum in the middle of the game.  oh, and guess whose Dad bought the Gator to rake the base paths & guess who was the only one allowed to drive it ~  Just so happens our Catcher in this guys same grade was drafted in the 4th round out of High School~ We had lots of visitors at games.  The player with the foul mouth ended going to the local college in town. End of Story