Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do right"

He plays 1st and pitches. The reason he did football and baseball was because football actually recruited him but he has a stronger love of baseball. He wanted a school where he could do both so that he could try to get in as a walk on. Coming from a hostile environment where he worked hard but had no high school coaches on his side, he switched schools in junior year and lost the whole year to ineligibility but played on HS JV. Just to put this in perspective so you realize it's not just us, we had parents from other team telling us that if they would have thrown him the ball we would have won the game. But his teammates had a game of keep away going. And the coaches on our side knew about it and said nothing to the players.

Last spring and summer on his new team he was doing well with 6 or 7 HR. In the last game of the summer league season he had 2 RBI's, he as the relief pitcher he didn't allow a base runner and struck out one. He has an speed of 85 pitching. His biggest strength is his cool and calm demeanor. And a couple of good pitches. He's 6'5" and about 230 now. He is thinking of dropping football but has not received much playing time on the JV team at the college level. He was told to wait his turn while they try out some kids who have played different positions but are now taking his spots. 

We didn't know any of the steps to get college looks and so found a couple of try-outs at the beginning of his senior year. He was told by one college coach that he had an awful sweet swing and that he definitely was college ball level but that coach had invested his time in another player for a year and wouldn't be able to place him.

And we are too far away (185 miles one way) from Mpls/St. Paul. I would move if I could find a job! His coach now is not about to help him and I just want to see if we can at least have someone evaluate him honestly. As in a lot in life if you have connections they help along with luck. I'd love to think that he's going to get noticed by himself but I do realize there's thousands out there who are more impressive at first glance. He did not get any publicity until he changed schools and so that also didn't get his name or stats out there much and was pretty late in consideration of all the people who are working now with juniors and sophomores in high school.

I appreciate your comments. Thanks