Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

I've seen kids walking on eggshells, so afraid of making a mistake because the coach is going to scream if they screw up. Kids play better and are more aggressive when they're relaxed and loose, the coach needs to be able to make the kids believe that they can make the great play, the great hit, the good pitch. It's not going to happen if the kid is a nervous wreck and terrified of the coach. If this happens to my son I won't think twice about taking him out of that situation, he loves baseball and I won't make him suffer through a whole season just so he can say he's not a quitter. I have a 22 yr old and a 12 yr old and haven't had to do this yet but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't if I saw the need. I think there are situations where you need to do what's best for your kid, and that might be going to another team. I believe some parents jump too quickly while others might be too stubborn and the kid might finish the year but never play again, but atleast he wasn't a quitter...
I've heard so many kids say that they're not playing anymore because the coach is a jerk, and sometimes knowing the coach I know that it's simply not true, and sometimes it is. We need to be honest about our kids abilities and coaches need to treat kids with respect if they want the kids respect. The kids know if a coach is blowing smoke up you know where and we as coaches need to remember that we can have a lasting impact on a young persons life, positive or negative. Coaches are human and they're going to make mistakes, parents make mistakes. We all need to be a little more forgiving, a little more patient, and a lot more loving. Smile
Last edited by Innocent Bystander