Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

Good Post IB. I've seen it happen with a few very talented baseball players, and we just went through the very situation you talked about with my son and basketball. While son's true passion is baseball, he also enjoyed basketball. Granted he's only a middle of the pack basketball player, but he's very quick and went into this past season with a ton of enthusiasm. You'd think a coach that knew what he was doing could take a kid like that and help him be a better player. Well, in my son's case, after sitting through a dozen or so of the coach's screaming sessions and precious little actual instruction all of the enthusiasm turned into fear of making a mistake that would cause more yelling. So much for any desire to ever play organized basketball again. On the positive side my son told me his eyes were opened to how much he enjoys baseball, and wants to spend the time next year when he'd otherwisw be playing basketball working out getting ready for baseball season.

As for BBfam's original question, in my opinion it wouldn't do much good to talk to the coach about the situation as he probably won't see a problem. Take a little time to think about the situation, talk to other parents to see if they have the same perceptions (sometimes we all tend to get a bit defensive when our own child is involved, but on the other hand there are plenty of coaches out there who are guilty of the daddy-ball syndrome), and if you decide a change is in order I'd spend time interviewing the coaches of prospective teams for next season.
Last edited by StyleMismatch