Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

Whatever happened to loyalty?

I have seen kids leave teams with the quickness as soon as a team hits a bump in the road. I have seen kids leave when times are rough , leave their current team, join another team, only to return to the same team because he made the " wrong decision". Perfect example is this past weekend. We played in a Tourney and lost our first game, mind you our team had three returning players who previously left last year only to return this year. Guess what these three players had to face their former teams to get to the championship. Call it ironic if you will but we made it to the championship and took 2nd place. This was a huge accomplishment for this team and it gave me a sense of satisfaction because the kids that stayed and fought hard through the good and bad times faced adversity and didn't panic or leave. As for the the other three kids who left and came back, let's just say they are happy to be back with this team.

My son wanted to leave last year because when the three players left the team was losing many games and many kids were placed in different roles. He stuck with it and the sense of satisfaction was written all over his face. I am glad to say that my 13 year old has been dedicated and faithful to one travel club who gave him an opportunity to play. The dividends have been huge and he now is playing AAU Frosh HighSchool Baseball as an eight grader.

Be careful in your decision and usually the talented players who work hard in practice and in games rise to the top. My son has faced daddyball, politics, and booster clubs all in the face and rose to the top. Work hard, hustle, and things will work out. Trust me.......it will.