Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

Callaway, you obviously have an exceptional group of coaches kids in your area. Where I'm from a little over half should be on that list, quite a few kids play out of position and hit in the coveted spots only because dad is the coach. They get to pitch over better players because dad is willing to coach the team. Most coaches put in a lot of time with practices, lineups, complaining parents, etc.., I don't know if this is really right or wrong when they favor their kids a little. I feel like maybe I'm being selfish because I choose to assist (if I'm pushed) instead of manage because it gives me more time to work with my own kid. I don't want to have to deal with parents who don't want to coach but want their boy to play short and pitch every game even if you have 3 guys who are better suited for those positions. So often it's hard for us as parents (and coaches) to be completely honest about our sons abilities.
I feel like the most important thing at this age is to help your kids enjoy the game and continue to develop the skills they need to play where they're best suited. baseball7
Last edited by Innocent Bystander