Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

You seem to have missed my point, and that is no parents have a right to complain about how a team is run if they do not contribute in any way, shape or form. I do not feel the need to justify any of my decisions to parents who use me as a babysitter.

The players are fantastic. They hustle, they listen, they play where I tell them, and they are excellent sportsmen. I remind them of that on a weekly basis, and how proud I am of them.

I did not initially volunteer to manage a team. I simply let the league know that I was willing to be an assistant to someone. The league call before the season started and asked me to be a manager, as they did not have enough. If somebody did not volunteer, 14 kids would not play spring ball.

I am not trying to make excuses, or apologize for the way I run my team. Nor am I looking for pity.

My point is simply this: if you do not volunteer to help (coach, shag balls, team mom, prep the fields before the game (yes, I do this too while the boys warm themselves up in the outfield when we are home team)), then you have forfeited your right to complain about your son playing right field and batting last.

I was gonna put a little snippet in here about you, but I changed my mind, as I don't know you personally, nor am I able to make a judgement about you from reading one paragraph, and that would just not be civil.