Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

Just an update--apparently I wasn't the only parent with concerns. I didn't say a word but some did and we had to have a meeting to hash out some problems. Problem is some parents have the LL mentality--who cares if we win and everyone plays the same #of innings and some want competition and want to win so the stronger players play more. We may be having a split come august which is too bad but I think it will be best. Some coaches are so upset about what was said (coach mentioned before) that he tried to blame a game costly error on my son which is ironic since he wasn't even involved in the play. An overthrow to home on a single to the left fielder is hardly an error on the 1st baseman. I guess changes will be good for some but what a shame to put the entire team's feelings and chances behind letting your child play whatever position he wants when it hasn't been earned. For what it's worth-we used to coach and I understand about having a child on the team but sometimes (always) you have to look at the whole picture and do what's best for the team even if it means putting your child in a different position or even on the bench if necessary.