Skip to main content

Reply to "What to do when coach starts playing "Daddy Ball""

Callaway,
I respectfully have to disagree with you about the politics. Yes, many of the coaches have kids who play very well and get to show their talent BUT sometimes - rare as it might be - a very talented kid walks on a team and is benched so as not to outshine the coaches sons.What else could it be if the benched boy is a strong player, has a good attitude and shows up on time? Rose colored glasses . . . no, just fact . . . there is a 13 yr. old middle school boy on my sons team with tremendous talent. He is benched 80% of the time. Will he make All-Stars? I doubt it because who has seen him play! Well, the high school coach has seen him play as he has arranged special practices with him so that he'll be ready for high school in another year. A well known MLB player has seen him play at these practices with the high school coach and from what I understand has recommended him for a special off-season camp. The boys parents are not coaches but they help out with the team at every game and volunteer in the snack shed. What a shame that the five dad coaches haven't made use of his talent. And, you should see this boys face sitting on the bench game after game dying to get in and play with everyone else - it breaks your heart. Once he asked the coach if he could play and was repremanded. Switching to another team is not an option for many kids. In some small towns, like ours, there is only one league to play in. Sorry, I had to vent a little. I hope all of the dad coaches out there will take a minute to do a little soul searching and realize that they are not only putting their kids at a disadvantage when they don't recognize talent outside their nest which might help their children become even better players ( "to get better you have to play with others that are better than you") BUT their actions have a serious impact on these kids sense of self worth. At 12, 13, 14, 15 yrs. old the kids don't understand adult ego and politics and instead see the lack of playing time as a reflection on themselves and their ability. The parents of this kid I mentioned told me that they and he were truely SHOCKED when their son was told by objective outside sources that he had unusual talent for his age and a future in baseball if he stuck it out.This particular child was ready to pack it in after this season and focus on his others sports - football, basketball and track, I think. What a shame. You have to wonder how many other boys have left the sport who found themselves in the same situation. I can't wait to see this young man play high school ball which, undoubtedly, he will aspire to.
Last edited by northwoodsgal