Skip to main content

Reply to "What to expect?"

Man, this sounds like a great problem to have.  This might sound disingenuous because it's coming from the dad of a 2021 who committed last July to a JUCO, so take with a big ol' grain of salt.  There is no shortage of people advising against committing early.  I might be naïve, but I do believe it comes from a good/sincere place and not from disgruntled parents of kids who weren't offered early.  But I will tell you that all the very best things I've come to understand and feel about this whole process, truly got through to me AFTER my son committed.  So over the last 11ish months.

We (my son) really just got lucky that he ended up in exactly the BEST FIT for him.  I promise you that we were poised to ignore all the best advice even though we'd heard it plenty prior.  It positively sucks that its STUPID hard to actually believe and follow the best advice on the front end.  I can't tell you how many times we heard "go where you're loved" before my son committed.  Hell, I was actually audacious enough to pass that advice on to others.  Even though - if tempted by bigger and brighter lights - I would have completely ignored it.  Awful.  Now, I just have this overwhelming feeling of not wanting to see any kid/family needing luck to end up in the best place for them.

@cocdawg  I can't give you specific advice because my son wasn't like yours, but I do hope your son and the family take as much time as is truly best for your son.  It's a tremendous opportunity, but we also all know how tremendously easy it can be to screw it up.  I look at all those poor kids in the transfer portal right now and my stomach hurts for them and their families.  I don't wish that on anyone.  So please work to really absorb advice from the wisest and most experienced sources you can find.

Last edited by DanJ