Skip to main content

Reply to "What to expect?"

I have a 2024.  He started having calls arranged with several P5 DI recruiting coaches this winter/early spring.  My kid is totally attracted to the shiny objects and continues to "gravitate toward the hype...it is hard to resist the hype" ... especially during the CWS post season.

My wife and I rolled our eyes ...   initial calls went just as ARCEKU21 describes above ... phew.

However, it is now starting to feel much more tangible (anticipating more meaningful calls this summer) as we get ready for ~4 weeks of baseball in GA/AL from mid June through July.   

This winter, we let my son pick his top 10 dream schools on his own ... his mom quickly shot holes in several, then I started "helping" with some research and built an little .xls db of schools ... following much of the advice here on hsbaseballweb.  Just this week, my son is finalizing his more informed "top 25" target list; a cut out of ~75 DI schools that I have added to our DIY db.  I am making him "force rank" the schools 1-25 based on his understanding of both baseball and non-baseball attributes - asking an average 14 yr old to think much more than he's used to.   This experience is requiring him to "grow up" much sooner than I had to when I was his age.

I'll describe the current target list of 25 as being all DI, with 75% of the list in the P5 conferences and 25% non-P5.  My son's performance on the field in GA next month will drive the interest and the next round of calls.  If none of his top 25 come calling "with love" ... its ok, our list already identifies several excellent DII baseball programs and several great DIII HA schools in SE PA (home region for us) that my wife and I would be proud to have our son go to.  These schools, however, are not on the boy's dream list.  I give the kid credit ... dream big while you're young; it is the dream that is driving his hard work to improve.