Skip to main content

Reply to "What to expect-D3 freshman?"

JCG posted:

Another question for D3 parents:

Did any of your kids work at school?  

Included in our kid's FA packages is fairly small sum for work study.  Assuming minimum wage it would work out to  6 or 7 hours per week.  I'm thinking he may not like it, but he can probably handle it ok first semester, especially if the job is something like desk at the gym or library so he can study some of the time he's on duty, but that the pressure would be too great during the spring.

Any experience with this?

Yes...  Let's face it there are many work study jobs that allow for plenty of reading time on the job. It's not 9-330 M-F at school followed by 4 hours a couple nights a week at some retail job. The pay depends on the job, but I don't recall it being minimum wage type scale at a (sorry, not trying to be political, but) liberal leaning school. Maybe my kids were fortunate. Also, remember that work study money is fixed.  That is - if you get 2K, then it's 2K for the whole year. So in your off-season you work more hours, then in season you work less hours so you're good. The boss knows the deal and makes adjustments to the schedule as there is always someone who is not in season and there's always more workers available. I had one son work in career services - excellent gig BTW - forced him to know where it was from freshman year! He was a football player, so in the fall it's less busy there, but in the spring well he get all his hours in. My other son (baseball) ended up in a "job share" type thing where he'd work more in the Fall answering phones for some department, while another student worked the Spring.