Skip to main content

Reply to "What to look for in a Summer Collegiate team"

jonsmith posted:

Thanks everyone for your replies! I failed to mention that he is a PO. His D1 (in the MAC) school has players placed in Northwoods, Prospects, Great Lakes, Hamptons, Western Major League, Tri-State leagues. How much instruction is given at these levels or is strictly about PT. I would hope this would be a time that he would learn more about playing at the collegiate level.  I hope that instruction will coincide with what his PC wants him to do.  Again thanks for the valuable input!

It varies but there generally isn't a ton of instruction going on.  That is largely due to the format... cram 50-60 games in two months.  So, it is largely about getting game innings/reps against good competition.  Depending on the summer coaching staff, he is likely to get in-game comments and maybe some pen observation/ conversation. But not likely a ton of specific pen work.  There just aren't many practice/pen opportunities aside from games.  

Based on your comments, it may be a very good idea for your son to communicate to HC that getting the best pitching guidance, along with recommended IP's, is his priority and ask him which option would give him the best results with that in mind.  I think this would be looked at favorably by HC and he may very well try harder to steer you toward a team with a known good PC.