Skip to main content

Reply to "What to say at parent night"

Originally Posted by freddy77:

one of the things I thought i might do is a couple of activities to put the parents and players in the drivers seat. for instance, i might put 2 columns on the whiteboard: "good" and "bad." I might ask some questions like "What are some qualities that define a good or bad  coach?,"

Coach Z,

I really respect what you're trying to do with your program, but I don't think you should do this. It's too much empowerment of parents and players.  IMO, don't re-invent parent night.  Go with the  standard tried-and-true formula..

I was getting ready to post the same thing.  Like the old saying - treat parent night like a mini-skirt = long enough to cover the important parts but short enough to keep them interested.

If it's too short then you haven't communicated everything you need or as in depth you need.  Plus, the parents get upset because they wasted time / effort to get out there for 20 mins (or however long it is)

If it's too long then you're repeating info or talking about stuff that doesn't matter.  Now parents get upset because they don't want to be there.

Everything joes87 put in his first post is about what I cover in our meetings along with concussion information due to state law.