Skip to main content

Reply to "What to say at parent night"

Originally Posted by freddy77:

one of the things I thought i might do is a couple of activities to put the parents and players in the drivers seat. for instance, i might put 2 columns on the whiteboard: "good" and "bad." I might ask some questions like "What are some qualities that define a good or bad  coach?,"

Coach Z,

I really respect what you're trying to do with your program, but I don't think you should do this. It's too much empowerment of parents and players.  IMO, don't re-invent parent night.  Go with the  standard tried-and-true formula..

I agree.  If you want the parents' input don't ask for that. Ask them what ideas they have for fundraising, or who knows somebody who can help build a new backstop, dig new drains, sell OF banners, etc.

There are other ways to get involved too.  Our team has a potluck dinner after Friday home games for example. Great way to build community, give coaches, players and parents a chance to get to know each other a bit. A few parents step up to run it every  year, and everybody contributes food or supplies.