Skip to main content

Reply to "What type of Baseball Dad/Coach/Family are you?"

Wouldn't dream of coaching my son.
In our area there is an abundance of top quality organizations with up to 4000 ball players registered in some of the larger ones. The numbers have declined but the Elite teams are springing up all over the place. I see this as a good thing and shows the demand for top quality coaching and competition.
I did learn everything I could from professional people about pitching mechanics and skills required so that I knew as much or more than son did. i did not rely on my experience as a pitcher but acquired knowlege through books,pro scouts and players.
I saw my involvment as support and I helped him privatly after games etc. I would discuss his mechanics if I saw something that needed to be pointed out. Occassionally snaped pictures out of a video of the game to illistrate what I saw. I had to be careful how I introduced the issues as he could get snarly if it sounded like a lecture. The next time out I would see him checking his mechanics.
The last couple yeards he asked for help and what I thought of his outing.
Our coaches also have to have a recognized level 2 certification before they can coach in Ontario Baseball.