Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

2forU posted:

Velocity will still be an easy disqualifier.  I think you will see the same guys with high velocity recruited the way they have always been recruited with spin rate as something that is teachable.  Why waste time teaching spin to someone with low velocity when you can teach it to someone with high velocity.  Velocity is going up not down. Spin rate is nothing new, it's just getting some recognition.

With all due respect I am not sure where you get your info. Even Kyle boddy on here has recently said we are still struggling to find ways to teach spin rate. If it is so easy why don't pitchers just do it??  And spin rate is pretty new actually. Not sure what you consider new but it's certainly come into its own over last few years. That's pretty new to me. And there have always been 'sneaky fast' guys. We just know why now. And so now they can be identified and recruited. I agree big velocity will always be in demand. But if you read my post I don't compare the 95 guy to the 82 guy.  I compare the 86 guy to the 82 guy. Big difference. There are tons of mid 80's guys in D1 ball. Some even cruising lower 80's. Certainly not a stretch to say they will start considering low 80's guys with unusual spin rate/axis