Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

This gets frustrating for me i must admit.   No matter how many kids i have gunned personally or how much data 2019 or anyone else presents it keeps getting back to the myth that you have to be a 90's guy or very close.  Its simply not true.  We cant play loose and ignore the facts.  As my disclaimer my son is not any kind of prospect at this point.  2019's kid is for sure.  But it has nothing to do with whether my kid or anyone else's is good enough for 'the next level'.  Its just an undeniable fact that most these kids were NOT 90's guys during their rising senior summer.  Yes many may become 90's guys in college but that is not the debate here.  The debate is what does it take to GET to the next level.  Not be a star there, not even play four years or anything else.  Just GET there.  once there you have your chance to compete.  No guarantees, just your shot.  And the other thing I think we have to differentiate is what does it take to get heavily recruited vs. what will just GET YOU THERE!  Agreed that kid topping at 84 isnt going to have stalkers on him constantly.  Won't see scouts beating down his door and will most likely be a late commit.  But when the smoke clears and the big boys are all committed lots of D1's find themselves scrambling for guys like this to round out their staff.  Why one and not the other?  Last thing they want is a problem in their 35th roster spot so they look for the quality of kid at that point.  Or lets be honest could be a friend of the program, booster kid or relative etc.  When you get to that point your best chance is to be a great kid, teammate and student.  Thats how you throw 84 and make a D1 team.