Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

Twoboys posted:

Just wait is all I can say to those who have not gone through the process.  You can start early.  You can have great grades and great scores.  You can have excellent command and awesome secondary stuff.  STILL IT IS A TOUGH ROAD, especially for the Ivy pitching spots.  They do NOT take 7 pitchers a year, they only have 5-7 slots TOTAL.  All of the guys we know who are 84-88 and did not get D1 love have for the most part committed to a high academic D3 as few want the risk of trying to get in and then trying to make the team.

Also, not only the point above that PG does not capture all of the pitchers throwing hard, there is also no separation for RHP vs LHP and of course there is some velocity leeway given by some for a LHP.  

The pitchers I listed are all RHP, for the very simple reason that my son is a righty, so the velocity necessary for a LHP was irrelevant to me. But I assume that LHP could be a bit lower.

To your point about PG, of course they don't capture everyone. I found that mid-majors on the West Coast (for example, Cal-Poly) and most D3s had far fewer kids who had thrown at a PG event during their rising senior summer or senior fall. Other schools (for example, Virginia) had virtually every single kid in the PG database, including having thrown at a PG event their rising senior summer or senior fall.  

The information I provided is just information that is publicly available, which I gathered and collated. The aim in doing so was simply to help in identifying which schools might be realistic targets for my son to pursue -- like, if he's topping out at 87 as a rising senior, Virginia is completely, totally unrealistic. Once I had the data put together, I thought others might find it useful.