Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

2020dad posted:
cabbagedad posted:
2020dad posted:

What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?

This is the title of this thread.  No where here does it mentioned being recruited let alone heavily recruited.  Get onto a college roster...  That's what we are talking about here.  And as for the being loved thing...  We can't all be loved at all levels.  If everyone followed this advice no team would ever fill out their roster.    Some kids simply have to go somewhere they are not loved and compete if that is what they want!  How many freshman pitchers do you think there are on a D1 staff on average?  7 or 8?  Probably a good guess.  Most teams about 15 pitchers some more.  usually almost half are freshmen as older kids get drafted, quit or transfer.  So lets say 7.5x300=2250.  Take out the kids who go in the draft after high school and those who for reasons of their own want to go to a lower level school or a Juco for grades or whatever.  Still think there are 2250 kids left who throw 90+??  Or even 88+?

Yeah, but I do think it is reasonable to say there are 2,000+ HS P's that PROJECT to throw 88+.   

So, 2020, I'm still trying to nail down what's behind your ongoing agenda with this topic...

Let's say you have a HS junior or rising senior who throws 82-84, pitches effectively, has decent movement (related to spin rate ) and has had good success at the HS level.  His genetics, body type, maturity, mechanics, etc. don't point to much additional velo gain.  He is, like most, not fully educated on the realities of the college recruiting scene.  He just thinks he wants to play D1 ball.  Do you tell him to go for it and maybe try to walk on at a D1 or do you try to help him find a school/level where he has a much higher chance/likelihood to make the team and contribute at some point?

How many HS players do you think would actually want to go through the efforts it would take to make the roster of a D1 school and be satisfied with the likely scenario of then being cut in the fall or prior to sophomore year?  Do you think that "getting onto the roster" as the end goal is a strategy that puts the player in a position to succeed?

Great questions Cabbage!  First what is my agenda?  Just the truth thats all, nothing hidden.  And yes it is ongoing because there is ongoing misinformation.  As for the pitcher you describe...  yes its tough sledding for him, he will have to distinguish himself somehow.  I would NEVER advise someone to walk on anywhere at any level unless it was the absolute last option.  As for getting cut, its a risk an athlete needs to be willing to take.  Bet on yourself!  Is getting on a roster the end goal?  For some yes, for others no.  Believe it or not there are those who are just happy being part of a team.  Knew a guy who was a D1 bullpen catcher essentially.  Got all the team gear and had a blast.  It was the school he wanted to go to and he was not really D1 talent so this was great for him.  Could have gone to a smaller school for baseball but this was the school he wanted his degree from!

Thanks 2020.  I'm still hung up on some of this.  Was the D1 bullpen C recent or back in the day?  I agree that, for some, the idea of being part of the D1 team is a cool thought.   But, with today's realities for those kids - limited roster spots, even more limited travel spots, enormity of time and work commitment, removal of ability to work a job to offset college expenses, increased pressure on coaches to win and, thus, constantly try to upgrade every roster spot, etc., this cool thought just doesn't pass the logic/common sense test when push comes to shove.

I would think that for every one kid who may consider such a sacrifice with no realistic chance of PT, there is an astronomical number of kids who either get cut and hang 'em up, choose a more reachable level or decide the math doesn't add up and just become regular students.  And, as others have pointed out, that pool of players that fits the mold I described is so large, it is nearly impossible to "distinguish himself somehow" as you stated.  So, the only shot at D1 is to try and walk on.  

I still think it is much more sound advice to steer the kid in my original scenario toward a program where he has a reasonable chance to make the squad and contribute on the field.  And, I still think it is more sound advice to tell the players and parents that come here to the site to find a match where there is mutual interest, a reasonable playing match and that likelihood of a chance to compete.

(That said, here's an ironic twist that somewhat supports your point - I do have a catcher that came out of our program, torn labrum ended his college playing dream, somehow connected with his D1 college as a "team manager", eventually began catching some bullpens, does get some of the swag, doesn't travel so not quite the time commitment and he loves being part of it.  Still, that was just freshman year and not quite the full sacrifice a rostered player would be expected to give.  And, he doesn't have the likelihood of being cut hanging over his head.  It will be interesting to see how long he sticks with it.)

PS - Sorry, after posting this lengthy piece, I saw Infielddad's post and he is right.  We probably shouldn't be drifting too much and distracting from the great info that 2019 provided.  I'll try to stay more directly on topic.

Thanks again, 2019 

Last edited by cabbagedad