Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

#1 Assistant Coach posted:
KilroyJ posted:

Thank you for this. As the parent of a 2019 RHP, this is very interesting information to me as he starts his recruiting journey. One thing I'd love to know is- (and I'm not sure there would be any data to show this)  is there really some type of inverse relationship between velo and ACT/GPA for admittance at a given school, and what that spread might be for a more selective school.

One simple measure I've found in regards specifically with RHPs and high academic schools is what I now call RPI, "Righty Pitcher Index."  Focused solely at RHPs looking to go high academic, the golden number for getting on those radars (I believe) is 120.

RPI Formula:  FB velo + ACT score = 120 (or as close to it as possible)

Examples: FB: 90mph +  ACT: 30 = 120

or FB: 88mph  +  ACT: 32 = 120

or FB: 86mph  + ACT: 34 = 120

or FB: 93mph  +  ACT:27 = 120

or FB: 94mph  +  ACT 26 = 120

Not sure what the parameters of this are though?  

Not sure a kid with FB: 102mph with an ACT: 18 is playing college ball???  But I'll bet a kid with FB: 84 and ACT: 36 is! 

Not scientific, but just my armchair observations

Just did a spot check on my "RPI-120 Theory" on a couple of the high academic schools and RHPs that 2019 Dad highlighted in OP.  Both fell short of the #120 with the velo/ACT#s they each had posted on PG.  One kid was (FB+ACT=117, the other was FB+ACT=115).  Those could have been older velo #s and maybe they hit higher velos at the college's camp or at another showcase or tournament?  Who knows?  But in both cases, aim high for (120) and hit 117 or even 115, and both kids landed on high academic D-1 rosters as RHPs. 

I will add, as another thread recently sought to distinguish between High Academic Power-5s and Ivys, this Golden #120 goes out the window with Power-5 Academics I believe.  The #120 is for schools where the coaching staff truly kow-tows to the admissions office and not the other way around.  I do believe at some High Academic Power-5s the HCs tend to get who they want due to a more flexible admissions process.

I realize OP was talking JUST VELO but #s can be misleading if taken out of context.  So many variables in play.  But for me, the two most core, base, fundamental, and two I felt son had most control over?  ACT and Velo.  Now, as far as throwing strikes?????????  I have no formula for that!!

JMO.

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach