Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

MKbaseballdad posted:

If you think it's frustrating to read posts from everyone who says that you need to throw 90s to be recruited - wait until you have a RHP who throws 84-85, try to help him get recruited D1 and see how frustrating it becomes!

The problem with the scenario you describe above is the sheer number of RHPs who throw in this range - it describes virtually every starting pitcher we saw the summer between my 2016's Jr and Sr year and most of the RHPs on his summer team.  So there are a lot of RHPs waiting for the spots to be filled and dust to settle, smoke to clear, etc - and then you're talking about waiting until Nov (or so) of Sr. year to find a spot with most likely a preferred walk-on spot at best to a D1.  And that assumes that out of the colleges you have been in contact with, have seen you, etc there is one or two who didn't fill the spots they had for RHPs and there is a match and you get to them first instead of any of the 100+ other RHPs they have seen the last 2 summers.  

Can it happen?  Sure.  Does it happen often?  Not from what I've seen here in the northeast the last three seasons.   Most of those players end up finding spots at another level before they get to that stage. 

Since a couple of posts have revived this thread, I thought I'd chime in as the dad of a kid who fits the mold of that first paragraph.

Be realistic about where you fit athletically, and even more importantly academically. Through the course of my son's recruiting process there were indications that he could probably find a lower level D1 spot, but the more he looked, the less it looked like there was a real combination athletic/academic fit that would really match what he wanted.  On the flip side, there were a lot of D3 schools that ended up in his sweet spot for both.  If the D1 athletic experience is really the driving factor, maybe it's worth stretching for it, but if other factors are more important to your son than that, don't overreach just to say you could do it.

Last edited by jacjacatk