Skip to main content

Reply to "What velocity is necessary to get onto a college roster at certain schools?"

gunner34 posted:

anything you would have done differently now that your sons are Jr's or Sr's   where were your sons in 9th grade?      ive got a 9th grader  who has lifted some weights but not that diligently,  hopefully this summer he puts in the work,  we keep talking about doing weighted ball/driveline program but something always comes up and we maybe do a session here or there.    he does like to throw and we will long toss on occasion  twice a month.    

But that being said he is 6'3 170 now,   and was 83-85 mph over December.    His best pitch might be his curve ball though,   70-72 mph can throw it to either side of the plate with sharp bite or loop it in starting at your head breaking down to your knees.  He can hit his spots pretty well although we have been focused on velocity during the fall.    We havnt gone to any camps,  showcases, or big events.   But that will change this summer where he will likely do all of the above.   We did do a scout day at a small D1 that his travel team scheduled.   He said they coaches talked to him a lot asked him a lot of questions.  

That is basically where my son was last year minus two inches of height.  During spring season of Freshman year, 83-84.  He threw 87 at the WWBA after his freshman year.  We started playing at almost midnight, so only one coach still there.  My son got interest from him.  Went to a couple of showcases this fall and threw 88 and is now talking to some of the schools he had on his original list.  I think having movement is a big plus.  I think being taller, if he hits higher 80s by the end of the summer he will get good D1 interest.

Last edited by baseballhs