Skip to main content

Reply to "What Was Your Best Day in Baseball?"

Corky9999 posted:
Tell us about your best baseball experience as a fan, a player or parent.

As a fan, my wife and I had great seats when Lou Brock got his 3,000 hit.  While it wasn't a "great hit," it was his 3000 hit and the stadium went crazy.  We were all given a certificate that showed that we were at the game.

As a player, my best day was the day of the ACT Test my junior year.  I had a pretty good HS career.  However, on this day, I went 5 for 5 with 5 doubles.  It was in a double header and we had to drive ourselves to an away game.  As the car I was riding in parked, my coach was screaming for me to get my shoes on and hit.  I ran as fast as I could and hit a ball off of the wall.  The next game, the other head coach kept saying that I couldn't keep it up.  I had my dream day.  I will never forget that day but to make it better, that opposing coach stopped our bus as we left to give me a ball.  He walked on the bus and then complimented me on the day.  The only thing that could make this better is that I eventually coached baseball at that school and he was still teaching in that school and put a good word in for me when I applied for the job.  

My best day as a coach?  How could I pick?  I been fortunate to be an AC on 2 state championship teams.  One of those two teams was voted as the #1 HS team in America in Collegiate Magazine as they went undefeated.  Another team went 64 wins before a loss in the state championship game.  I've seen so many great kids have career days.  My first game as a HC was so special!  I guess my best day as a baseball coach was every day I coached.

As a parent?  I changed from baseball to softball to watch and coach my daughter.  All of those days were special.  She was a 1st Team All State Player.  I did not miss a game when she played in college.  Watching her break school records was special.  Seeing her receive All American Honors was special.  Seeing her awarded her Academic All American Honor was amazing.  

This is the last year of my career.  I work with a bunch of great kids.  Baseball has given me so much.  I have mentioned here several times that my HS HC saved my life.  I grew up in a bad place and did bad things.  He gave me a path out of my neighborhood.  I am the single most blessed person I know.