Skip to main content

Reply to "What Was Your Best Day in Baseball?"

As a player I have 2 :                                                                                                                                               1) Getting the hit to start the game winning rally in the Texas HS State Championship game against a heavily favored opponent.  A photographer got a picture right after I made contact and from the angle the picture was taken it shows the opposing team in their dugout w/ David Clyde front & center. If Clyde would have pitched against us we would have had no chance. He struck out 19 in the semi-final game in one of the most dominant performances I have ever seen.  Clyde was the first player selected in the MLB draft a few days later.                                                                                              2) In college we went to Miami, Fla over spring break my senior year and played in 2 tournaments. I had been having a good year but got passed over game after game on this road trip.  The night before our last game our Asst. Coach knocked on my hotel room door and asked to speak to me in the hallway. He said, "we are out of pitchers so you have the ball tomorrow if you think you can handle it."  The next day I pitched a complete game 5 hit shutout.  I still have the game ball.                 As a parent I have 2 :                                                                                                                                              1) Listening on the phone as my middle son threw a complete game 1 hit shutout in Lubbock during his senior year in HS.                                                                                                                                             2) Watching my youngest son hit a game winning 3 run double in Texas 6A HS playoffs off of a Texas A&M commit who is a certified dude.                                                                                                                 As a coach there are so many, but I had a very special day this fall.  The Texas JUCO where I help coach traveled to Oklahoma to play the JUCO where my youngest son plays.  I was in one dugout and my son was in the other one.  As I watched that game I saw him doing all the things that I had been preaching for years that I thought he wasn't listening to.  He played the way I have always known that he could and on a field loaded with talent he clearly stood out. Our Head Coach went out of his way to shake his hand after the game.  It was a very proud moment for me.