Skip to main content

Reply to "What were their majors?"

Goosegg posted:

I was going to tabulate the responses, then add a questionnaire breaking down divisions in a later thread. Didn't want to get into a "where did your kid go to school" scenario.

As to the Econ question, my wife was an Econ major and it was my minor. The rigor has changed over the years as data, quantitative analysis and computers have been added to the equation.  Way different than last century. Today's Econ majors can head straight into the financial sector - investment and merchant banking, wealth and asset management, consulting (whatever that means for someone who has no practical experience straight out of school), government, etc.  The ability to analyze and manipulate data (which is what is at the foundation) seems to be sought after - currently.

At S's school, econometrics was the weed-out course. (Also the multi semester calculus requirement was somewhat of a hurdle.)

I too was an econ minor a hundred years ago when doing my undergrad degree.  To further Goose's point, the Econ major is evolving.  Some schools are converting it to a STEM major, which apparently has immigration visa implications.  

http://www.thedp.com/article/2...iladelphia-visa-work