Skip to main content

Reply to "What were their majors?"

I would add that for parents who are researching this topic, you can do a lot of your own due diligence by going to the team web site, looking at the roster, and then looking at the players' majors (some times you need to click through the players bio pages to find the major).  My son and I did a lot of that research because he was determined to find a school that offered Engineering majors and find a baseball program where there were a fair number of kids on the team who were majoring in Engineering or other demanding STEM subjects.  Not surprisingly, it was pretty hard to find a match.  But there are some solid academic schools out there where it is an option to do both. As Fenway noted in his insights into an Engineering degree, it helped my son that he is a Pitcher Only, but the demands on his time from the baseball team are still substantial. 

Doing the roster research first will help avoid some wasted time on visits.  Some coaches may say they permit STEM majors, but looking at the actual roster will tell you if that is really true or not.  And for the majors with lab requirements, be sure to check school class schedules to see if labs are offered in the morning or evenings.  Afternoons are not an option unless you have a very supportive coaching staff and teammates who are willing to let a player miss practice for a lab.  Better to do all of the research ahead of time than wind up in a place where the academic interest does not match up with the demands of playing college baseball.