Skip to main content

Reply to "What would you do?"

Exhibition Games are scheduled for some teams that request them.  They don't count as actual pool games being the only difference.  They are scheduled at the very beginning.  These teams have the roster to support playing an extra game.  It provides more playing time and exposure for a lot of kids.  One game that usually happens each year always stands out for me (Ontario vs. British Columbia). That one seems to mean more.

I never like to tell people what they should do, contrary to what some have said, but I am glad to see parents and players make the decision to attend the WWBA in Jupiter.  Anyone that has ever been there knows it is the biggest scouting attraction in all of baseball.  It is not a place that every MLB Club sends a scout or a college sends a grad assistant, MLB organizations send their entire scouting department, including those in charge and sometimes even the GMs.  Colleges will often have the head coach and recruiting coordinators there.  It's not only a tournament, it is a convention, a job fair, a circus, a lot of networking.  It is one of those things that MLB All Stars still talk about.  It is something that a player will never forget.

Please if anyone wants to call this post a PG promotion... Stop before you start.  This event needs absolutely no promoting. It is what it is and if you haven't been there you couldn't  possibly understand.  The hardest part for us is we have to turn away some great teams every year and that can create some enemies.  I truly wish everyone could have this experience. Even those that don't get the results they wanted will never forget they were there.  So yes, I'm happy that some have decided to go.  I hope anyone attending from HSBBW would PM me with your sons name and which team he is on.  If I get the chance I would enjoy watching them play. 

Suggestion; Tell your son to enjoy this event.  Sure there is pressure with all the eyes around, tell them to love that pressure.  Elite competition, the biggest crowd of scouts, recruiters and agents anyone will ever see, it's a players dream. Even the very best have done poorly at this event.  You would be surprised with how much scouts and college coaches like to see players do poorly.  Sometimes you can find out more about a players chance for success by how he is capable of handling failure.  Talent gets you noticed, makeup makes you successful. I hope your kids have a blast.  Also, make sure you attend the night games on Friday or Saturday, even if your team isn't playing.

Parking is an issue, but it is FREE.  There is an admission charge for non team members.  Sorry I don't know how much it is.  Seems like the concession prices were within reason, if I remember correctly.  Make sure you wear comfortable shoes to walk in.  If anyone is unable to walk, please inform the people at the gate and they will transport you to the field you are going to.  They will also pick you up and bring you back.  There is no cost for that. There is not a lot of seating so you might want to bring a folding chair.  An umbrella could come in handy for both sun and if it rains.

For those that think this is a post trying to sell something using the HSBBW, I'm sorry.  You might notice that there was no post trying to talk someone into anything.  Only after people made their decision did I post anything. I don't want to sell anything to anyone. I just happen to know quite a bit about PG and can answer some questions.